School of Integrated Technology
Computer Science Track
NEWS : (2017~2018)
▶ Sungjoon and Changlim's paper has been accepted from HotStorage 2018
▶ Gyuyoung and Miryeong's new memory (PRAM) prototytpe work has been accepted from HotStorage 2018
▶ Our collaborative research on scale-out distributed storage systems has been accepted from ICDCS 2018
▶ Wonil's parallel GC and flash utilization work has been accepted from HPDC 2018
▶ Our many-core work has been accepted from Programming Language Design and Implementation (PLDI) 2018
▶ Mustafa's paper has been accepted from ACM Transactions on Architecture and Code Optimization (TACO)
▶ Jie's flash-based hardware accelerator work has been accepted from EUROSYS 2018
▶ Jie's GPU paper has been accepted from IPDPS 2018
▶ Our 3D Flash-based SSD work has been accepted from FAST 2018
▶ Wonil's paper is accepted by ICCD 2017
▶ Donghyun's paper has been accepted from NPC 2017 as top-ranked paper and invited by IJPP
▶ Jie's paper has been accepted from NPC 2017
▶ Miryeong's paper is accepted by IISWC 2017
▶ Sungjoon's paper is accepted from IISWC 2017
▶ Our SimpleSSD work has been accepted from IEEE Computer Architecture Letters
▶ Wonil's paper has been accepted from SIGMETRICS 2017
▶ U.S. government supports Dr. Jung's non-volatile memory research in supercomputing
▶ Dr. Jung's NearZero work has been accepted from IEEE Computer Architecture Letters
▶ Dr. Jung's collaborative paper has been accepted from ASPLOS 2017
▶ Dr. Jung got awarded from NRF for 5 Years Young Researcher Career.
▶ Dr. Jung's parallelism study has been published by IEEE IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
Lab's full history is here
- Yonsei University, Assistant Professor, 2015~present
- The University of Texas at Dallas, Assistant Professor (Tenure-track), 2013~2016
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Guest Scientist, Computer Architecture Lab 2011~2015
- Samsung Electronics, Memory Division, Researcher/Engineer, 2006~2009
- Pennsylvania State University at Ph.D. Computer Science, 2013
Dr. Jung's research is supported by and in collaboration with the Department of Energy, the National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center in Oakland, California and the National Science Foundation, Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning and National Research Foundation of Korea; the total amount of active projects exceeds $6M, and his lab secures more than $2M. He also works with Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory as Guest Research Scientist, to model and simulate diverse memory technologies on scientific applications in designing energy-efficient Exascale computing systems. In addition to his academic activities, Dr. Jung has many years of industry experience, several industrial U.S. patents related to multi-channel SSDs, and approximately sixty technical papers regarding SSD flash firmware and kernel-level file systems. He earned his Ph.D. in Computer Science at Pennsylvania State University and his M.S. in Computer Science from Georgia Institute of Technology, and an M.S. in Embedded System from Korea University in Seoul. His research has been nominated as best paper from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers/Association for Computing Machinery (IEEE/ACM) Internal Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis 2013 (SC'13). He has received the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Award of Excellence, Samsung Flash Software Group Best Engineer and Product Planning awards, and Future Scientist and Competitive Professional Development awards from South Korean federal agencies.
Dr. Jung loves memory and storage systems. His research topics are mainly focused on advanced computer architecture, embedded systems, firmware, middleware, memory controller design atop/within storage class Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) technologies such as NAND flash, Resistive RAM (RRAM), Magnetic RAM (STT-RAM), and Phase-change RAM (PCRAM). These emerging NVM studies will define new computer architecture and new parallelism computing, which can in turn boost performance and reduce energy consumption with better reliability at a given technology. he actively leads diverse NVM projects such as modeling open source-based NVM simulation, analyzing/designing high performance many-chip Solid State Disks (SSD), developing host-local NVM systems and optimizing NVM software stacks. He is also interested in introducing different types of NVM technology into big-data processing and scientific applications such as out-of-core computing, in-situ analysis and message logging, and enabling NVM-based burst buffer/micro-check pointing under diverse high performance computing (HPC) and data-center system organizations.
- SimpleSSD -- Open-Source Licenced Educational SSD Simulatior for High-Performance Storage and Full-System Evaluations
- OpenNVM -- An Open-Sourced FPGA-based NVM Controller for Low Level Memory Characterization
- Open Storage Trace -- Storage Traces Extracted CAMEL owned Mini-Supercomputing, All-Flash Array, and Parallel Systems
- NANDFlashSim -- A cycle-accurate and hardware-validated NAND flash simulation model
The full list of our tools is here
|Orhan Kislal, Jagadish Kotra, Xulong Tang, Mahmut Kandemir, Myoungsoo Jung, "Enhancing Computation-to-Core Assignment with Physical Location Information" (acceptance rate: 21%)|
|Jie Zhang, Myoungsoo Jung, "FlashAbacus: A Self-governing Flash-based Accelerator for Low-power Systems" (acceptance rate: 16%)|
|Chun-yi Liu, Jagadish Kotra, Myoungsoo Jung, Mahmut Kandemir, "PEN: Design and Evaluation of Partial-Erase for 3D NAND-Based High Density SSDs" (acceptance rate: 16%)|
|Wonil Choi, Mohammad Arjomand, Myoungsoo Jung, Mahmut Kandemir, "Exploiting Data Longevity for Enhancing the Lifetime of Flash-based Storage Class Memory" [ paper ] (acceptance rate: 13%)|
|Nima Elyasi, Mohammad Arjomand, Anand Sivasubramaniam, Mahmut Kandemir, Chita Das, Myoungsoo Jung, "Exploiting Intra-Request Slack to Improve SSD Performance" [ paper ] (acceptance rate: 17%)|
|Narges Shahidi, Mohammad Arjomand, Myoungsoo Jung, Mahmut Kandemir, Chita Das, Anand Sivasubramaniam, "Exploring the Potentials of Parallel Garbage Collection in SSDs for Enterprise Storage Systems" [ paper ] (acceptance rate: 18%)|
|Hao Wang, Jie Zhang, Gieseo Park, Sharmila Shridhar, Myoungsoo Jung, Nam Sung Kim, "DUANG: Fast and Lightweight Page Migration in Asymmetric Memory Systems" (acceptance rate: 22%) [ paper ] [ slides ]|
|Jie Zhang, David Donofrio, John Shalf, Mahmut Kandemir and Myoungsoo Jung, “NVMMU: A Non-Volatile Memory Management Unit for Heterogeneous GPU-SSD Architectures", (acceptance rate: 21%) [ paper ] [ slides ]|
|Myoungsoo Jung, Wonil Choi, Shekhar Srikantaiah, Joonhyuk Yoo, Mahmut Kandemir, "HIOS: A Host Interface I/O Scheduler for Solid State Disks" (acceptance rate: 17%) [ ieee ]|
|Myoungsoo Jung, Mahmut Kandemir, "Sprinkler: Maximizing Resource Utilization in Many-Chip Solid State Disks" (acceptance rate: 25%) [ paper ] [ slides ]|
|Myoungsoo Jung, Wonil Choi, John Shalf, Mahmut Kandemir, "Triple-A: A Non-SSD Based Autonomic All-Flash Array for Scalable High Performance Computing Storage Systems" (acceptance rate: 22%) [ paper ] [ slides ]|
|Myoungsoo Jung, Mahmut Kandemir, "Revisiting Widely-held Expectations of SSD and Rethinking Implications for Systems" (acceptance rate: 13%) [ paper ] [ slides ]|
|Myoungsoo Jung, Ellis Wilson, Wonil Choi, John Shalf, Metin Aktulga, Chao Yang, Erik Saule, Umit V. Catalyurek, Mahmut Kandemir, "Exploring the Future of Out-Of-Core Computing with Compute-Local Non-Volatile Memory" (acceptance rate: 20%) [ paper ] [ slides ]|
|Myoungsoo Jung, Ellis Herbert Wilson III, Mahmut Kandemir, “Physically Addressed Queueing (PAQ): Improving Parallelism in Solid State Disks" (acceptance rate: 17%) [ paper ]|
The full paper list is here
- U.S. LBNL/DOE, Design and Implementation of FPGA-based Non-Volatile Memory Controllers, DE-AC02-05CH 11231, 2017.
- National Research Foundation, 5 Years Young Researcher Career Program, R1C1B2015312, 2016 (Single PI).
- U.S. National Science Foundation, CNS Core Programs Award, CNS-1422923, 2014 (Single PI).
- U.S. Department of Energy and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, CoDEx Award, DE-AC02-05CH1123, 2014.
- Award of Excellence, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Computer Sciences Summer Student Program, 2012.
The full award list is here
RECENT PROFESSIONAL SERVICES:
- Program Committee, The IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD), 2018
- Organization Committee, 51st IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO), 2018
- Program Committee, 2nd Workshop on Hardware/Software Techniques for Minimizing Data Movement (Min-Move 2018) @ ASPLOS, 2018
- Program Committee, IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), 2018
- Shadow Program Committee, ACM International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems, (ASPLOS), 2018
- Grant Review Committee, Samsung Research Funding & Incubation Center for Future Technology (Fall), 2017
- Program Committee, IEEE International Symposium on High-Performance Computer Architecture, (HPCA), 2018
- Program Committee, International Workshop on Architectures for Intelligent Machines (AIM), 2017
- Program Committee, IEEE International Conference on Computer Design (ICCD), 2017
- Program Committee, IEEE International Symposium on Embedded Multicore/Many-core Systems-on-Chip (MCSoC-17), 2017
- Program Commiittee, IEEE Non-Volatile Memory Systems and Applications Symposium (NVMSA) 2017.
- Grant Review Committee, Samsung Research Funding & Incubation Center for Future Technology (Spring), 2017
- External Program Committee, International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA) 2017.
- Organization Committee, Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers (KIISE) Spring 2017.
- Organization Committee, International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA) 2016.
- Program Committee, USENIX Interactions OF NVM/Flash with Operating-Systems and Workloads (INFLOW), 2016
- Organization Committee, Operating System Support for Next Generation Large Scale NVRAM (NVRAMOS) 2016.
- Program Committee, IEEE International Conference on Computer Design (ICCD), 2016
- Program Committee, Workshop on Architectures and Systems for Big Data (ASBD), 2016
- Executive Director, Special Interest Group on Computer Systems (SIGCS), 2016~present
- Session Chair, Design Automation Conference (DAC) 2016.
- External Review Committee, IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO), 2016
- Organization Committee, Non-Volatile Memory Systems and Applications Symposium (NVMSA), 2016
- Program Committee, IEEE International Conference on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI-SoC), 2016
- Program Committee, ACM/SIGARCH International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS), 2016.
- Program Committee, IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), 2016.
- External Review Committee, IEEE Symposium on. High Performance Computer Architecture. (HPCA), 2016.
The full service list is here